Curry Chicken – Caribbean Style.
You can have Curry Chicken – Caribbean Style using 15 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Curry Chicken – Caribbean Style
- It’s 4 lbs of chicken (thighs and legs skin off).
- Prepare 4 of medium size potatoes roughly chopped.
- You need 3-4 tbsp of veggie oil.
- It’s 1/2 c of water.
- You need 2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves diced.
- It’s 1 of medium onion (diced).
- It’s 1 of large tomato.
- You need 3 of scallions chopped.
- Prepare 3 sticks of fresh thyme.
- It’s 4 tbsp of ketchup.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Amchar Massala (I use Chief brand).
- It’s 4 tbsp of curry powder (I use Blue Mountain Jamaican Hot).
- It’s 1 of scotch bonnet (a.ka. Jamaican Pepper).
Curry Chicken – Caribbean Style instructions
- In a large mixing bowl combine your chicken, 1/2 your chopped onion, fresh thyme, chopped scallions, salt, pepper, tomato, ketchup, amchar massala and your chopped up scotch bonnet..
- Mix ingredients in the bowl by hand thoroughly and then cover. Place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours and let marinate..
- Place your large Dutch pot on the stove and turn heat on high and let pot hot..
- Lower the heat to medium and add your veggie oil and the rest of the onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes (be careful not to let your garlic burn).
- Add your curry powder and stir for an additional 3 minutes to cook the raw curry taste..
- Add 1/4 cup of water and continue to stir. You should notice that the liquid in the pot is cooked off and the curry is forming somewhat like a paste..
- Begin adding your marinated chicken. Turn the heat up to medium high..
- Stir the chicken to coat the pieces with the curry..
- Place the lid on the pot for about 15-20 minutes. About 8 minutes in, check and stir the chicken. Recover with lid and let cook for the remainder 15-20 minutes..
- After the 15-20 minutes add your potatoes and the rest of the water. Turn your heat up to high and bring to a boil. Place the lid half way on to cook off some of the liquid..
- Chicken curry is done when meat begins to fall off the bone and a nice gravey forms. Note – you can add more water if needed for gravey..
- Serve with a side of rice and a wedge cornbread. Enjoy…….