Chicken Tagine with Honeynut Squash. Fall vegetables, with their natural sweetness, are delectable enough simply roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. Here, a quick pan sauce adds another comforting layer to our pan-seared chicken and roasted produce—including honeynut squash (an especially sweet, miniature butternut). This easy Moroccan chicken tagine will let you experience all those flavours yourself.
If you love squash, honeynut squash tastes like the best gosh darn squash you'll ever eat. Tell me all your honeynut dreams. xoxo steph. Super sweet personal-sized honeynut squash is here to save the day! You can have Chicken Tagine with Honeynut Squash using 20 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Tagine with Honeynut Squash
- You need 2 Tbsp of ras el hanout (recipe in method).
- Prepare 2.5 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 lb of chicken thighs, cut into chunks.
- Prepare 1 of onion, sliced.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic smashed.
- You need 2 inch of knob ginger, grated.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of dried apricots, quartered.
- You need 1 (14 oz) of can diced tomatoes.
- It’s 2 cups of hot water.
- It’s 1 of Bou chicken bouillon cube.
- It’s 1 cup of diced squash.
- Prepare 1 cup of pitted green olives, halved.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of ghee or oil.
- It’s 8 oz of frozen spinach, thawed.
- You need 1 cup of parked couscous.
- It’s 1 cup of cilantro, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of lemon.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of pistachios, chopped.
Moroccan, Tagine, Butternut Squash, Chicken Thigh, Date, Dinner, Weekday, Main Course, Fall, Winter. If it's more convenient, you can let the slow cooker switch to warm. Honeynut Squash: easy and incredibly delicious. With just a few seasonings, this winter squash can be prepped quickly and roasted.
Chicken Tagine with Honeynut Squash instructions
- If you're using a traditional tagine, begin by preheating the oven with tagine inside at 325F. If you don't have a tagine, you can do this recipe on the stove top in a Dutch oven and transfer to the oven later on..
- Combine the olive oil, ras el hanout, salt, and pepper in a small bowl..
- Ras el hanout: 12 green cardamom pods. 4 black cardamom pods. 4 tsp cumin seeds. 4 tsp coriander seeds. 2 tsp anise seeds. 1/2 tsp allspice berries. 1/4 tsp black peppercorns. 4 tsp ground ginger. 2 tsp nutmeg. 2 tsp Aleppo pepper. 2 tsp cinnamon. Grind all in spice mill. If you want to use a premixed Moroccan spice blend that's fine too..
- Add half the spice paste to the chicken and mix..
- Add the ginger to remaining spice mix..
- Dissolve the bouillon cube in 2 cups of hot water..
- Combine the onion and garlic in a bowl..
- Combine the apricot and tomato in a bowl.
- Combine the olives and squash in a bowl..
- Heat the ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat..
- Add the onion and garlic and brown..
- Add the remaining spice mix and cook until fragrant..
- Add the onion mixture to the tagine.
- Deglaze the skillet with the tomatoes, apricots and 1/2 cup of the stock..
- Transfer the tomatoes to the tagine..
- Nestle the chicken into the tagine.
- Cover with the lid and bake for 45 min..
- Add the squash and the olives and continue baking for another 30-45 min..
- Meanwhile, combine the cilantro, the zest of the lemon, the juice of the lemon, and the pistachios..
- Add the remaining 1.5 cups stock to a small pot. Bring to a boil and add the couscous. Cook on low, covered for 10 min followed by removing from heat and letting sit to steam..
- When the squash is tender, add the spinach over top and continue cooking for 10 min..
- Remove the tagine from the oven and top with the cilantro mixture..
- Serve in deep bowls with the couscous and lots of the tagine..
Honeynut Squash: easy to roast and incredibly delicious. A tagine is both a dish and a cooking vessel. The cooking vessel has a conical shape which is meant to preserve every single drop of precious moisture in Place butternut squash/chickpea combination on a platter, top with chicken and sprinkle with cilantro. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lemon wedges. Home » All Recipes » Orange Chicken with Honeynut Squash & Rice.