Ham and cheese gruyere croque madame. Gruyère cheese and ham just belong together. The word croque comes from the verb croquer or "to crunch". So a Croque-Monsieur roughly translates to The feminine version, a "Croque Madame", includes a fried egg on top.
Ham – adds a nice, smoky flavor to the sandwich. Croque Madame is a French classic for a reason. It's the ultimate ham and cheese sandwich topped with bechamel and a soft fried egg. You can cook Ham and cheese gruyere croque madame using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ham and cheese gruyere croque madame
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour.
- You need 1 cup of whole milk.
- It’s 1 cup of shredded gruyere cheese.
- Prepare 5 teaspoons of dijon mustard.
- You need of salt and pepper for taste.
- You need 4 of large eggs.
- It’s 8 slices of bread, firm good quality(i used rye).
- Prepare .5 pound of black forest ham.
Croque Madame from Delish.com is a match made in heaven between a grilled cheese and a ham sandwich, with a perfectly sunny-side-up egg to top it Literally meaning "mister crunch," the croque monsieur is a treasure trove of textures; pop a fried egg on top of your sandwich to transform it into a. My favourite way to use ham is Croque Madame which is essentially a French grilled ham and cheese on steroids because it is topped with béchamel, a thick white sauce. I saw this muffin tin version on Rachel Khoo's Little Paris Kitchen show. I really like her show because she puts a new spin on French.
Ham and cheese gruyere croque madame instructions
- In a small sauce pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Let bubble, don't brown. Whisk frequently for 1 minute..
- Gradually whisk in warm milk(I used cream for a thicker sauce). Raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil. While whisking frequently. Reduce heat and simmer, whisk frequently until thickened. About 5 minutes..
- Remove from heat. Stir in .75 cups of cheese and 1 teaspoon of mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of sauce and let cool..
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange bread slices on sheet(I placed a pat of butter on each slice). While baking turn once until toasted on both sides. About 10 minutes, remove from oven and set aside..
- In a frying pan melt rest of butter. Cook the eggs and season with salt and pepper to your desire. Just make sure the egg white is cooked..
- Preheat the broiler. Spread remaining mustard on 4 slices of bread. Place equal amounts of ham on bread(i used baked ham and think the thick ham would be better). Then spread cheese sauce 1 tablespoon on each slice..
- After sand which is built spread more cheese sauce on top and sprinkle remaining grated cheese on top as well. Place in oven and cooked till cheese is boiling and brown. Remove and plate then put fried egg on top. And enjoy..
This is a variation of Amanda Hesser's croque-monsieur, a ham and Gruyere sandwich topped with béchamel. Here, we invite you to pop a fried egg on top. Think of Croque Madame as the French equivalent to the American grilled cheese, but even more delicious! Crusty bread is spread with a Mornay sauce and Dijon mustard, stuffed with ham and gruyere, and topped with a fried egg. I'm pretty sure this is my favorite sandwich ever.