Meatloaf with Mushroom gravy. This meatloaf is dressed up with a seasoned mushroom gravy. Meatloaf is not the invention of thrifty housewives trying to stretch a small amount of costly meat with fillers and spices. It actually dates, in one form or another—patties or loaves—to ancient Rome and probably before that.
Though we would never fault the classic glazed loaf, a recipe for a rustic meatloaf with hearty mushroom gravy piqued our interest. That means fried chicken with a crunchy coating and moist meat, a low-fat recipe makeover for macaroni and cheese that's as creamy and cheesy as the full-fat. Instead of using breadcrumbs to bind this meatloaf, you tear up bread into small pieces to provide delicate pockets of softness in each slice of meatloaf. You can have Meatloaf with Mushroom gravy using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Meatloaf with Mushroom gravy
- It’s 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef 80/20 lean.
- Prepare 8 oz of fresh mushrooms sliced thin and chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 of medium onion chopped.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- You need 1-2 of eggs.
- Prepare 2 tbls of Equal parts flour and butter.
- Prepare 1 (14.5 oz) of can beef broth.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of Ketchup.
For a decadent touch, the meatloaf is wrapped in bacon and served with a velvety mushroom gravy. Do Try This At Home: Cooking on a Budget with Jen This video is more about making substitutions and making them work. Most Meatloaf recipes call for egg as. If the bacon on the top is not as crisp as you would like, put the meatloaf under.
Meatloaf with Mushroom gravy step by step
- Sauté onion and 1/4 of the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil until onions are translucent and mushrooms have browned a bit, set aside to cool.
- Combine ground meat, cooled mushroom mixture, bread crumbs, eggs, and season with salt and pepper mix thoroughly.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a baking dish and form meat mixture into a loaf brush with ketchup.
- Bake in a 350deg oven for about 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 135deg then remove from oven and rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- While meatloaf is in the oven melt butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan and sauté mushrooms until most of the moisture has evaporated, sprinkle with flour to make a roux (use more flour and butter if you want a thicker gravy) and cook for a couple of minutes add beef broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer stirring until gravy thickens, adjust seasoning.
If you're a comfort food lover. The meatloaf itself is tender with two kinds of meat, garlic, onions and worcestershire. Now I know that meatloaf is traditionally topped with ketchup and my little guys might prefer it that way, but seriously, I'm a gravy kinda girl. Meatloaf with mushroom gravy is a savory blend of veal and pork with lots of fresh sage and a handful of spices that'll make you sit up and take notice. No ketchup here — this ain't no traditional meatloaf!